First Trek as A Trekking Guide

Susan Gillig (WI, US) and myself 1997 Langtang Nepal

As mentioned on my last post I used to do few treks as a trekking support staff in order to support my study and living in Kathmandu.  A gang of us from same area where I come from (Tapting)  had rented an apartment (only one room) in Thamel, Kathmandu .  Among us only I was a student and rest were trekking workers.  One day my roommate (Dhan Bahadur) said – why you always work as kitchen staff or porter? You are not like me uneducated; you must work as a guide by now;  I will take you to a senior guide tomorrow and possibly he may employ you as guide for one of his treks.  I was quite nervous and said to him – No I can’t, I don’t have confidence to work as a guide.  However next day he took me to the other guide’s place and all three of us went to Potala Guest House where a western trip leader was waiting for a new trekking guide.  She was Marin Johannsson from California (now a good friend and sister of mine) a trip leader of San Francisco based trekking agency.  She had asked me if I had been in Langtang area as a guide before. As I was suggested by my friends I made a claim that I had worked as guide earlier.  She agreed to take me as a guide and that was kind a turning point in my career in tourism. 

There were three American trekkers on the 10 day’s camping trek to be taken care by Marin, Myself, cook staff and porters.  Every evening Marin and I would brief about the next day’s trek and we would end up in long conversations about many prospective of the trip, country, culture etc.  Because I was so uncomfortable of making fake claims for the sake of finding that job one of the evenings I confessed to Marin that I had never worked as a guide before and I had lied her!  Then she said ‘take it easy’ and not to worry as I was doing good job.  

We ended up our wonderful trek as planned and friendship with Marin and Himalayan High Treks grew forever.  Since then I had been employed in many treks by Himalayan High Treks most of them led by Marin herself.  I have been always thankful to Marin and Himalayan High Treks (owner Effie Fletcher) for their kindness of trusting me which has brought me to the wonderful world of tourism and adventure in the Himalayas! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tamang People

About Buddhist Stupa

Island Peak Climb and Everest Base Camp Trek (2011 Autumn)